- May 15, 2014
- Posted by: Dr. Elise Cohen Ho
- Category: All Recipes
Popeye’s Vegetable Soup (3 servings) is a delicious guilt free vegetable soup that you can enjoy whenever hunger strikes.
- Chop 1 sweet onion.
- Add 1/4 c. low sodium vegetable broth* to a pot.
- Add onion and 1 clove crushed garlic.
- Sauté until onion begins to soften.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut 1 sweet potato, 1 turnip and 1 carrot.
- Add all to the onion pot, along with 2 c. vegetable stock.
- Slice 6 asparagus spears into bite sized pieces, add to onion pot.
- Cook until all vegetables are softened.
- Add 4 c. of spinach.
Enjoy the vegetable soup as is, or if you prefer a creamy vegetable soup:
- Carefully pour the soup mixture into a high quality blender.
- Process until the soup is creamy.
*Vegetable broth is very easy to make at home. Simply add your favorite vegetables to a stock pot, cover with cold water and add a bit of your favorite low sodium seasoning. Boil for approximately one hour and you now have beautiful homemade broth. You can use any vegetables and they may be freshly chopped, scraps (think carrot peels) or even the pulp from your juicer. I use the latter method the most often.
This vegetable soup may also be enjoyed with a side of red, yellow and orange bell peppers with a bit of low sodium salsa for dipping.
Green peppers are not recommended as they are immature, can promote gas and can be difficult to digest.
Add a lean protein source (3 ounces) such as grilled fish or tofu and you have a very filling meal.