- November 19, 2017
- Posted by: Dr. Elise Cohen Ho
- Category: All Recipes
I was in search of a Healthy Green Bean Casserole mostly because I do not like the traditional version.
The Green beans in this delicious Healthy Green Bean Casserole recipe offer so many wonderful nutrients and it is delicious too.
First, we have Vitamin K which helps with blood clotting and calcium absorption. Second is immune boosting Vitamin C. We also have manganese which assists with nutrient absorption, PMS, and osteoarthritis. Vitamin A is an antioxidant that assists with aging and cancer prevention. Finally, green bean casserole offers plenty of dietary fiber which helps with sugar regulation, cholesterol, and constipation.
Let us not forget the wonderful mushrooms which are loaded with nutrients such as B vitamins, protein, Vitamin D2, and digestive enzymes. Of specific interest is that white mushrooms are high in selenium. Recent research has even shown them to aid in weight loss as well as enhance prostate health.
45 mins, 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs green beans
- 1 lb white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 ¼ cups unsweetened rice milk
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Clean and prepare the green beans for cooking. Using your favorite steamer method, cook the green beans until al dente and set aside.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat, add olive oil, and cook onions until crispy and golden brown. Set the onions aside on a paper towel to help draw out the excess oil.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms, then add them along with garlic to the pan and cook until mushrooms are softened. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in the pan, add flour and cook for one minute. Gradually stir in the rice milk and stir until smooth, then combine mushrooms, lemon juice, salt, and pepper with the sauce.
- In a casserole dish, layer the green beans followed by the mushroom sauce and top with onions.
- Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Notes: Using brown mushrooms may alter the color of the sauce. Almond milk may be used in place of rice milk. This Green Bean Casserole is a featured recipe in The Best of Fall Holiday Cookbook by Dr. Elise Cohen Ho and Tiffany Boutwell.
Would you like a FREE Fall Harvest Cookbook?All Subscribers get one to their inbox right away.
Other delicious recipes in this cookbook include Baba Ganoush, Black Bean Burgers with Cranberry Relish, Roasted Acorn Squash, and Pear Crisp with Banana Ice Cream provide plenty for your holiday feast. So be sure to sign up for your copy today.
What is on your Thanksgiving menu? Please let me know in the comments below.
Check out all of the wonderful link parties in which this post may be featured.