- April 24, 2014
- Posted by: John Scardina
- Category: Smoothies & Juices
Please enjoy this Dragon Fruit Smoothie recipe from my friend, John Scardina of Natural Ways Consulting.
A new find in our area is Dragon Fruit which is reminiscent of Vietnamese cuisine and the Flying Dragon Shake. Delicious and refreshing…think of it as a dragon fruit smoothie.
- 2 Dragon fruit peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh pitted cherries
- 1 ounce of orange liqueur (substitute with zest of 1/2 an orange if preferred)
- 1 Cup of ice cubes
- Add a touch of local honey, if you like it sweeter.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh mint. Enjoy!
Notes from Elise:
The dragon fruit is also known as pitaya and has become very popular as of late especially since so many people love the beautiful pink color that it lends to smoothies and desserts.
Pitaya is high in vitamin C and the fact that it has a rich balance of nutrients makes this immune boosting vitamin readily available for your body. The antioxidant levels in this lovely powerhouse is virtually unmatched and may help to prevent cancer. The fat found in pitaya is comprised almost exclusively of the most healthy mono-unsaturated fats and even offers a bit of a protein boost. In addition to all of this wonderful goodness, pitaya is a good source of dietary fiber. If you wish to increase your fiber intake you can even choose to eat the skin.
So what are you waiting for?
Dig right in and ENJOY!