- February 27, 2016
- Posted by: Dr. Elise Cohen Ho
- Category: Love & Romance
Did you know there was such a thing as National Condom Month? Well there is.
It is National Condom Month which made me think that this is a really great day to go over the most common mistakes people make when using a condom.
- Not wearing one. Okay, so that one was going to be obvious. If you are not looking to get pregnant, not using another form of birth control or not in an exclusive relationship with no fear of disease then PUT THAT RAINCOAT ON.
- Delayed use. Sperm releases before ejaculation so before penetration suit up! According to a recent survey, 43% of students neglect to follow this advice.
- Using old condoms. A condom should not be stored for an indefinite amount of time as well the expiration date needs to be checked at the time of purchase, and beyond. Spermicide does expire and become ineffective. As well, over time the condom itself can break down, crack and get hairline tears. None of which bode well for disease or pregnancy prevention.
- Squeeze it. Once you get that condom on you need to squeeze the tip of the condom so that you get rid of trapped air and have room for the sperm to get trapped.
- Use a banana. Seriously! If you are unsure of how to use the condom then read the directions on the box and practice on a banana which mimics the shape of a penis. This is much better than trying to figure it out in the heat of the moment and believe it, or not, 30% of people put condoms on inside out.
- Lube properly. Some lubes interfere with the usefulness of a condom. Check back for a full post on sexual lubricants but in the meantime keep in mind that this is another case of natural is better. Oil based lubricants can weaken latex condoms and promote slippage.
If you feel that this post is useful then please do share on social media. More importantly share with any of your loved ones who are sexually active or may become sexually active.
This is a great start to a conversation about safe sex with your kids and your lover.
I would also love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment below.