- September 18, 2017
- Posted by: Dr. Elise Cohen Ho
- Category: Wine & Dine
The Los Angeles Convention Center was host to the 81st Annual Western Foodservice & Hospitality Expo.
Panel discussions and over 30 educational programs were an additional highlight of the event.
As a Foodie and Lifestyle Blogger of particular interest to me was Winning the Confidence of Gluten-Free Diners and Top Nutrition Trends. Of course, 9 Tips For Perfecting Your Social Media Pictures was a must-see event.
The Torch Award honors talented chefs for the brilliance of their careers and the impact they have had as a consequence.
Curtis made his award-winning Barbecued Lamb Ribs Served With Labne With Calabrian Chiles And Fresh Herbs.
Additionally, Curtis signed copies of his book Good Food, Good Life.
However, the time he seemed to have the most pride in his achievements was when discussing his commitment to Chrysalis.
I love that there is a true practice what you preach mentality to Curtis and his behavior. In my opinion, this is obvious when you realize how many formerly homeless and incarcerated people he has hired at his Hollywood restaurant.
Other standout chefs and their dishes include some pretty fabulous selections.
- Chef Shaun O’Neale, Winner of Master Chef Season 7 and Author of “My American Table.” Shaun shared his Roasted Bone Marrow with Apricot-Bacon-Bourbon Jam and Sourdough Toasts paired With Newcastle Brown Ale.
- Rapid Fire Sandwich Edition Competition winner, Chef Paul Cao of Burnt Crumbs who won the for his Fried Chicken Sandwich.
- Chef Stephen Agosto of Kelsey’s at Pechanga Resort & Casino who prepared a Smoked Lechon Sandwich.
- Chef Max Schultz of Sessions West Coast Deli who prepared a Summer Zephyr Sandwich.
- Peruvian Shrimp & Watermelon Ceviche Demonstration By Frankie The Bull.
- Chef Jenny Ross of 118 Degreed who prepared Lime Coconut And Jackfruit Nachos With Chipotle Cheese And Citrus Snow.
As if all of this was not enough there are many innovative products to discover.
The Overall Winner in the Innovative New Product Showcase was Oumph! “The beans of a new generation.”
1st Place Runner Up was Pure Napkin.
2nd Place Runner Up was Big Mama’s Gumbo.
Best New Product in the Food Trends Experience was Mommy Sauce and Mommy’s Korean sauces.
Best in Show was NavyZebra’s Elephant Foot Stamp Technology.
Additional Western Foodservice Features included:
- Beer, Wine and Spirits Pavilion
- Sabor Latino Pavilion
- Healthy Pavilion.
At the close of the Show, the exhibitors of the Western Foodservice & Hospitality Expo donated thousands of pounds of food to the LA Regional Food Bank.
The show, produced and managed by Urban Expositions, is the largest showcase of foodservice products in the Western United States. It is sponsored by the California Restaurant Association.
I am curious, if you could present one question to a food service or hospitality professional, what would that question be?
- Florida Restaurant & Lodging Show, Wednesday, October 11 – Friday, October 13, 2017, Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL
- International Restaurant & Foodservice Show of New York to be held Sunday, March 4 – Tuesday, March 6, 2018, Javits Center in New York.
The 2017 Western Foodservice & Hospitality Expo will be held August 19- 21. 2018 from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
For information on exhibiting at any of these events visit the show website at www.westernfoodexpo.com.